Stedelijk museum Schiedam
The Stedelijk Museum Schiedam is housed in the former St. Jacob's Hospital one of the oldest dams in Schiedam: Hoogstraat. The building was originally a hospice for the poor, elderly and the sick. It has been used since 1940 as a museum of modern art. The museum is now wellknown for its high quality exhibitions of international reputation.
Since the fifties, the Stedelijk Museum Schiedam collects contemporary art. Besides purchases, especially donations and long-term loans from individuals and institutions form a substantial part of the collection today. The collection develops and completes itself thanks to this initiative. The museum has built a significant CoBrA collection and is in possession of some important pieces from the Nul and ZERO period. The Stedelijk Museum Schiedam shows a selection from the collection permanently.
From 2003 to 2006, the Sint Jacobs Gasthuis was thoroughly restored and renovated. The number of exhibition halls is significantly increased from four to eleven. On April 8, 2006, the museum was re-opened by Queen Beatrix. At the end of 2013, the entrance to the museum moved to the streetside. The central chapel now features the museum café and the museum shop.
3111 HL SCHIEDAM